A Celebration of Growth
International philanthropy is growing.
Today, in honor of the growth of international philanthropy, we are proud to partner with donor clients who are dedicating their resources to support communities worldwide through a campaign hosted by Charities Aid Foundation of America (CAF America). At the heart of the campaign is the Day of International Giving, held on December 10, 2013.
The Day of International Giving is an event that celebrates the tremendous growth of cross-border giving and features the meaningful achievements worldwide made possible by the donors who give. To celebrate the day, CAF America invited corporations and individuals nationwide to make a donor advised gift to support the philanthropic initiatives of their choice.
CAF America is proud to be the international grantmaking partner for corporations desiring to make such a positive impact, especially as global philanthropy continues to grow each year.
Day of International Giving: Stories of Philanthropy
Day of International Giving is on December 10, 2013.
In recognition of DIG, CAF America is partnering with Trees for the Future, an organization “dedicated to planting trees with rural communities in the developing world, enabling them to restore their environment, grow more food, and build a sustainable future.” For each contribution made on behalf of the Day of International Giving, CAF America will make a donation to support the planting of 100 trees.
CAF America Growth Report
For over two decades, CAF America has partnered with donors and organizations around the world, earning respect and the reputation as the leader in global giving. In our continued effort to remain responsive to the changing needs of our donors and the field of international philanthropy, we have made many enhancements over the last year. Here are some of the ways CAF America has changed to better serve you:
While the look & feel of our new website is vastly different, the strongest improvement is in the access to information – a feature that benefits clients as well as any visitor browsing the site. Furthermore, the website enables us to more broadly engage visitors in the inspirational stories of philanthropy made possible by our generous donors.
CAF America has added several enhanced products to benefit our donors, including:
- Enhanced equivalency determination services (.pdf)
- Invested donor advised funds (.pdf)
- Philanthropic advisory services for individuals and corporations, including the CAF America Asia-Pacific Advisory Services (CAAS)
Improved donor tools
We introduced a new and enhanced version of DonorView— the free, secure, online tool fund holders use to access Fund information.
As a way to share the latest information and updates with you on our services, international giving, and stories of philanthropy, we have introduced a more regular series of newsletters and CEO Insider emails for fund holders containing information relevant to you. We have also become more involved and active on our social media platforms, including Twitter and Facebook; we created a LinkedIn company page and will be developing it more in the months to come.
International Giving Trends
Committee Encouraging Corporate Philanthropy
Data from 240 companies; 60 in the top 100 of the Fortune 500.
- Aggregate giving rose 42% from 2007 to 2012
- In 2012, 71% of companies gave to international end-recipients.
- These “international givers” gave, on average, 21% of total giving to international end-recipients.
- At the 2013 CECP Summit, corporate giving officers identified business strategy and employee presence as the strongest drivers of international giving expansion.
Lilly Family School of Philanthropy
Data from the top 100 companies on the 2012 Fortune 500 list; results from a web-based survey of a select group of Fortune 500 companies; and case study interviews with four large U.S. companies.
86% of companies that give internationally plan to increase or maintain their international giving budget size in the next fiscal year.
Most needed resources
- Vetting of nonprofits and facilitation of partnerships with international nonprofits (50%)
- Employee engagement strategy (46%)
Geographic distribution of international giving (of 27 surveyed companies that donate internationally):
- 60% made charitable contributions globally to almost every geographic area or without a specific focus
- 26% gave donations to only 1 or 2 geographic areas.
Strategies of overall charitable giving:
- Seeking a match between business mission and philanthropic passion: Companies’ overall charitable giving goals reflect a widely held emphasis on shared value.
- Building a sustainable business-nonprofit partnership
- Company size, profitability, and risk matter
- A strong emphasis on evaluation