A publication of Charities Aid Foundation
Gain insight into the nature of giving in the United States
We are delighted to launch the Charitable Giving in the USA 2017 report, looking at how individuals give across the United States. The report provides unique insight into how people give, their motivations and which causes they support.
Key findings include:
- More than half of Americans donated money in the past 12 months (55%) either by giving
money to a charity, by giving to a church/religious organisation, or by sponsoring someone.
- American donors are most likely to give money because they care about the cause, and
because they want to help those less fortunate than themselves.
- Religious organisations are the most popular cause for Americans to have donated to (37%).
The median amount donated or sponsored in the last year is $100.
- Giving online with a credit/bank card is the most popular method of donation (29%).
Nearly a third of Americans (31%) have volunteered in the last year, with religious
organisations/churches the most popular cause (33%).
- Having more money themselves is the thing most likely to encourage Americans to donate
more in the coming 12 months (47%).
Download the full Charitable Giving in the USA report. Interested in Canada? Click here